Cloaks Q&A #11
On the 3by3 label, Cloaks play speaker-shredding blasts of dubstep noise. Beats skip, jump and judder while all manner of found sounds build up into layers of ambient scree. Cloaks’ music is a harsh listen but all the more devastating and exciting for that. Here, mainman Steve Harris answers our Q&A.
1. Which five words describe what you know about Supersonic?
Important, unique, raw, adult, anti-hype (substance)
2. What can people expect of Cloaks at the festival?
You should expect to hear a more experimental, noise-driven approach to our music. We will also be predominantly playing unheard material from our album in progress.
3. Why make music – what does it do for you that nothing else does?
That’s a great question, and one I couldn’t ever answer sufficiently.
4. Who else on the bill are you hoping to see? (And why?)
Part Chimp, Alva Noto, Scorn, White Hills, The Skull Defekts. Supersonic always has a culture of ‘new’ as well so the point of it for me in terms of seeing other acts is all the names I’ve never heard of. The chief reason the festival is so great is that you discover new things so I’m looking forward to being pleasantly surprised.
5. Finally, your essential ‘surviving-Supersonic’ items are…
Earplugs, a large supply of disposable income for the marketplace, promo materials to hand out, spare bag to store all the new stuff you just bought, spare earplugs.